Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Crab Apple Butter

Extended Life for: Laramie's abundant supply of Crab Apples

I am fortunate enough to subscribe to some wonderful magazines. One such magazine offered a small snipit on a website called FallenFruit.com whose concept is to inform citizens of fruit trees that are part of public property. Laramie is not at this time listed on the website, however it got me to thinking..."I've seen a lot of crab apples lately, I wonder if anyone has claimed them?" Then began my adventure. One afternoon, after work, I stopped by a local dentist office, inquired as to whether or not I could have their apples and received and enthusiastic "Pick til your hearts content!" And with the help of my friend Mark, that's exactly what I did.

Soon after, I began an internet search for the best crab apple recipe which I found at http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.blogspot.com/. The following is my adaptation for their Crab Apple Butter. Enjoy!


Ingredients:

A lot of Crab Apples (10-12 Cups)
4.5 cups of water or tea
7 cups sugar
1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
2 Tsp. Nutmeg
2 Tsp. Allspice
1 Tsp. Ground Cloves

Directions:

Wash crab apples. Place whole crab apple in stock pot with water, begin to simmer for about 45 minutes until apples are soft. Run soft apples and water through a seive, return to pot. Stir in sugar and spices then cook apple mixture on low heat for about 2 hours until thick. Proceed to can or freeze; eat or share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...