Thursday, January 21, 2010

Twice Baked Potatos with Butternut Squash

Extended Life for: Butternut Squash, Cottage Cheese, Sour Cream, Half and Half, Parsley In my youth, mother once discovered a recipe for twice-baked potatos that she began preparing for our Christmas dinner. I LOVE them! It's all the joy of a baked potato but more compactly presented and all things are mixed together and delicious!
After most of Mike's foraging outings, if he brings something home I'm not familiar with cooking or have grown tired of it's usual manner of preperation, I hit the internet and begin searching out new ways to use specific ingredients. A few months back, it was Butternut Squash. I made my way to the Vegetarian Times website and did a search on Butternut Squash. The most intriguing recipe was this one for Tangy Twice-Baked Potatos, so I saved it to my recipes and awaited the day when it would be time. I baked the squash, gutted it out and put it into the freezer until the day would finally came. And dear friends, it has come! Here is my version of the Vegetarain Time recipe (measurements may not be completely accurate).
Ingredients:
8 medium Russet Potatos
2 cups cooked Butternut Squash
2 Tbsp. Butter
1/2 cup Cottage Cheese
1/2 cup Sour Cream
Half-&-Half, until desired consistancy
Parsley, diced for garnish
Directions:
Bake potatos at 350 for about an hour or until tender, let cool slightly. Slice potatos in half length-wise and scoop out pulp. Mash potato pulp with squash, butter, cottage cheese, sour cream, half-&-half and any desired spices. Spoon this mixture back into potato skins (if you have bonus mixture save it for the beer cheese recipe I will soon be posting!) Bake potatoes for 20-30 minutes or until heated through at 350. Enjoy with Catfish Cakes or for a light lunch.

1 comment:

  1. My roommate and I are eating this for dinner tonight! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...