Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pumpkin and Banana Spent Grain Dog Treats


Photobucket

I care about my dog and her health, a lot really.
I also have a husband who brews beer.
A husband who recently purchased and set up a kegerator.
Spurring a flurry of brewing.
And an abundance of spent grains.

So, I took my basic recipe for Spent Grain Dog Treats and made a couple of adaptations to get these Pumpkin and Banana Spent Grain Dog Treats - which the Lady is devouring.

In a large bowl mix 4 cups of spent grain, 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of pumpkin, 1 mashed banana and 2 eggs - you might need some additional flour to account for the moisture in the pumpkin and banana - the dough should be quite thick and require some muscle to stir. 

Next, cut into shapes or just press into a cookie sheet.  If you press into cookie sheet, use a butter knife to separate the biscuits into bit-size/treat-size pieces for your dog and cook at 350 for 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven and break apart the biscuits (unless you already cut them into shapes). 

Return to oven, reduce heat to 250 and bake for a couple of hours until they are completely dried out. 

Serve up to your pup and watch them enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This recipe sounds awesome! I'll be trying it next time I brew. Our beagle, Maisie, loves the peanut butter recipe we have been making, but I think she needs a little more fiber. This recipe will help.

    If fiber is what you're after, using whole grain flour might be one adjustment to your recipe to consider. That's what I'll be doing. Thanks for the idea!

    Colby

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...