Saturday, October 10, 2009

Kosher-Dill Pickles

Extended Life for: Cucumbers

This year has been a year of canning and preserving. As a child, I had the opportunity to help my parents prepare salsa, spaghetti sauce, apple butter and of course, pickles. Now that I am grown and daily developing a love for the kitchen and the "old way of doing things" I have inherited the canning supplies. Having conquered jams and jellies I knew the next step was pickles - how incredibly easy compared to my previous canning adventures!
Ingredients:
8-10 Cucumbers
3 cups White Vinegar
3 cups Water
1/4 cup Pickling Salt
1/4 cup Sugar
6 Tbsp. Dill Seeds
1 clove Garlic per Jar
Directions:
Wash and "spear" cucumbers. Wash and sterilize glass jars. Bring vinegar, water, sugar, and salt to a boil. Loosley pack cucumbers into hot jars. Add 1 Tbsp. dill seed, 1 clove garlic, and fill jar with hot vinegar mixture (leaving 1/2 inch headspace). Process in boiling-water canner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...